To be eligible for the NC Pre-K program (formerly More at Four) children must be 4 years old on or before August 31st and must be attending kindergarten the following school year.
The purpose of this pre-kindergarten class is to prepare children for success and make it easy for children and parents to move from preschool to kindergarten. The goals are:
- To improve each child’s readiness for kindergarten.
- To promote social-emotional growth.
- To identify needs of the child and help families get any services they need.
- To give parents information that will help them prepare their child for school success.
NC Pre-K eligibility is determined primarily by family size and gross income. Other factors are also considered, such as:
- Children of eligible military families
- Children with an identified disability or developmental/educational need
- Children/families with limited English skills
Additional General Information:
- There will be a maximum of 18 children in each class with two teachers.
- Health assessments are required of children entering the NC Pre-K program.
- The programs will operate on a 6 1/2 hour day Monday through Friday. Some locations offer extended care before and after school and on teacher workdays. Parents needing extended care must make arrangements with the Director or Principal at each site.
If you are interested in applying for this program, please complete the attached application form and mail to the address below. Completing this application does not guarantee you a slot in the NC Pre-K program.
- You must fill out the application completely
- Please be sure to include a phone number where you can be reached.
- Attach income verification (two current months worth of check stubs or a tax return if self-employed.
- Copy of your child’s birth certificate.
- INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!
- Parents whose children are eligible to participate in the program will receive a phone call or letter from the site at which their child has been accepted.
- Classes that are located in elementary schools give priority to children who will be attending their school for kindergarten.
- Transportation is the responsibility of the parent/guardian.
If you have additional questions, please contact Anabel Melgar.
Phone: 336-249-6688 x 211
Si tiene preguntas or para mas informacion, Anabel Melgar 336-249-6688 x 211